The struggle to get perfect, washboard abs is real. No matter how many sit-ups or crunches you do, or pasta dinners you avoid, sometimes it feels like getting abs is impossible.
While it’s not an unreachable goal, getting definition in the abdominal region is a challenge for sure. Dedication, workout intensity, and consistency are three keys to improving abdominal strength. Depending on your body type, getting perfectly chiseled abs may not even be a realistic goal; although strength and stability are two real benefits that everyone can work towards.
At Bayshore Fit, co-owner and fitness expert Beth Scanlan gives advice on how to target these difficult muscles with her signature abs set that addresses all the muscle groups in the core.
“Try Four Rounds of 30 seconds of these two exercises with rest in between,” Beth says.
“Keep your ab exercises simple. Let’s start with the Russian Twist:”
- Sit down on a mat, or a padded workout bench with your feet together and knees bent. Elevate your feet to a 90-degree angle so they’re hovering above the mat. Do not cross your legs!
- Grabbing a plate, or a weighted ball, rotate your entire core side to side, touching the floor on each side.
- Make sure your eyes follow the ball; and that the rotation is occurring through the core. Don’t just move your arms – we’re targeting the abs, remember!
After 30 seconds, quickly move to the second ab exercise with no rest, the Forearm Plank:
- Start by getting into the plank position. Slowly lower yourself down so that your shoulders are directly over your elbows.
- Your legs should be tight and straight, with your core and glutes tight.
- Make sure your body’s in a straight line across. Don’t arch your back, raise your hips, or sink your chest.
- Hold in this position for 30 seconds.
“Switching between these two powerful moves will help build and strengthen your core muscles,” says Beth.
“Combine these moves with a clean diet, minimally processed foods, minimal sodium, lots of water and make sure to partake in cardio as well to let the muscles below show their definition. You can do all the crunches in the world, but without maintaining a lean body composition, your abs will be covered by a layer of abdominal fat,” she explains.
Bayshore Fit is where South Tampa Works Out – we have something for everyone, no matter your fitness level. From our premier indoor gym, to our unique outdoor SHED, we help our clients achieve their health and fitness goals without holding them down with long-term contracts or big-box gym terms.
For more fitness tips, or to schedule a one-on-one session with our world-class personal trainers, contact the team at Bayshore Fit today!